2004/04/23

Open Source Projects and Optimistic Concuurency


Ben Hyde provides this analysis:Ascription is an anathema to any enthusiasm: Optimistic Concurrency

Here is a good quote:
I've convinced myself that open systems and optomistic[sic] concurrency are very similar ideas. Open systems make a choice to be optomistic[sic] about the coordination problem. They assume that the system will rarely suffer from rivalry or conflict. Open systems presume that when it does arise, the conflict can be resolved after the fact

I think this is true. I also believe comments about an open systems reaction to a problem ( making it less open) is also true ; I think the reactions of governments (esp. US and UK) to introduce new legislation at the expense of democratic principles is an example.

No comments: